Re: [TowerTalk] 75ohm cable

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 75ohm cable
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 22:47:05 -0400

On 7/19/2010 10:17 PM, Don Tucker wrote:
> Here, here. Too much time splitting hairs when it comes to SWR. The ham on
> the other end probably doesn't even hear the diff between a low and
> relatively low or moderately high SWR.
>
> Don W7WLL

True, but the additional loss in the coax depends on the matched loss
and the additional loss (in the line) due to SWR.  With a low loss line,
it's miniscule, but if using RG8 on 440 it could be substantial.   I
used 3/4" 75 ohm Aluminum hard line for years feeding a staked pair of
14L 2-meter  KLM's at 50' on a hill, 350 feet from the house. There was
very little loss in that system. I am not a fan of 1/2" Aluminum hard
line as I found it to be fragile. Of course it didn't hurt that I had
nearly a full reel of 3/4" in the garage. <:-))

73

Roger (K8RI)