Re: [TowerTalk] Truss clamp for 2" mast ??

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Truss clamp for 2" mast ??
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 02:26:40 -0400

On 7/20/2010 9:50 PM, Jim Thomson wrote:
> Ok... I'm not impressed with the F-12  method of securing the over head truss
> line to the 2" mast.
> The F-12 method consist of  looping the  1/8"  SS  truss cable  through the
> "U"  portion of a standard
> U-clamp.. with the saddle on the back end of the mast.   While this method
> works, it's an absolute
> bitch to get some tension on the truss line.   IE:  you have to push up on
> the U bolt.. and hold it there, then tighten
> the U bolt.

Insert a turnbuckle...Tighten as much as you can by hand and use the
turnbuckles in the Phillystran(one in each direction) to fine tune it.
I'd not fasten the turnbuckle to the upright as that contact point would
just be another source for noise.
I did the nearly 30' long 7L C3i 6-meter which has its own support for
the truss by setting it on sawhorses out towards the ends.   After
tensioning the Phillystran I moved the saw horses back toward the middle
to check for sag.  It's nice and straight.  Thing is, if you put a pair
of small turnbuckles up there, any long term stretch can easily be
handled. OTOH I've never seen the stuff stretch enough to notice.

73

Roger (K8RI)