Re: [TowerTalk] Joining Phillystran and EHS

To: "Jan Erik Holm" <sm2ekm@telia.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Joining Phillystran and EHS
From: "Mark Robinson" <markrob@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 11:57:58 -0400
The thing that worries me is that the big grip for phillystran is designed
for use with a thimble. I know that when using big grips with ehs they have
two sets of starting marks. One is for use with a thimble and a second set
leaves a longer loop and is designed for use with insulators. The longer
loop means less wraps and less friction on the guy wire but the ehs big grip
has been designed for this purpose. It looks like the phillystran big grips
only have one set of marks because they are designed to be used with
thimbles only. I am thinking that I should use thimbles and big 5/8 shackles
especially after reading Installation Guideline 9B where they are calling
out for a large shackle pin to avoid collapse of the thimble under heavy
loads

http://www.phillystran.com/365.htm

Mark N1UK