Re: [TowerTalk] Joining Phillystran and EHS

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Joining Phillystran and EHS
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 03:40:57 -0400

On 7/23/2010 2:00 PM, Cqtestk4xs@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 7/23/2010 3:58:33 PM Greenwich Standard Time,
> markrob@mindspring.com writes:
>
> It looks  like the phillystran big grips
> only have one set of marks because they are  designed to be used with
> thimbles only.

I purchased the ones for Phillystran and they do have two marks.

Guess I better go check the downspouts instead of towertalk as there's
another batch of thunderstorms headed this way. Some spots in the
Chicago had nearly 4" and it's been raining there for 3 hours since
those measurements. We only had an inch and the flood watches in Lower
Michigan stop with the neighboring counties.

All my big antennas are out in the back yard on saw horses except the 3L
40 which is still on the shop apron.
I gotta get the end caps welded on the 2" DOM and painted soon. That and
build a new gin pole out of 2" X 3/16" 6061-T6  I need to be able to
lift the two 24' sections of DOM to go down in the tower.

BTW, I had forgotten the thrust bearings were TB-4's instead of the
TB3.  Both TB-4 bearings that were up are shot. Even the bottom on had
the races deepened to the point where there are sharp ridges along the
edges of both races. The bad one has about an 1/8" vertical play while
the bad one has nearly a 1/4" vertical play so you can see what that
load was doing to the bearings.

73

Roger (K8RI)