Re: [TowerTalk] LMR 400

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LMR 400
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 09:07:49 -0700
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 00:01:36 -0800, Steve Gehring wrote:

>BTW, 3227 does, and quite easily I might add, accept a decently soldered
>PL-259 connector.  Also note that it does have a larger copper center
>conductor,

Yes. The center conductor of 3227 is #10 solid copper, there is a robust
foil and copper braid, and standard solder-type Amphenol PL259s solder fit
it quite well. And yes, it is VERY robust cable.

Someone asked if it is buryable. Another cable in the family, type 3222,
is a filled cable and is listed in the Commscope catalog as buryable. 3227
is not. 3222 has the same physical parameters (that is, conductor size and
shield construction), but greater loss at UHF thanks to the fill material.
Loss is not specified for either cable below 500 MHz. I've measured 3227
from 1 MHz to 500 MHz, and its loss matches the published data for LMR400
within measurement error.

73, Jim Brown K9YC