Re: [TowerTalk] A different question (I think) on SPG

To: "'Jim Brown'" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "'Tower Talk List'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] A different question (I think) on SPG
From: "Dick Dievendorff" <dieven@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 10:48:59 -0700
Now I'm confused.

I (will) have a main panel on the garage wall.  The power company ground rod
is right there.  It's not much of a ground rod.

There's a sub panel up in the radio room over the garage. That sub panel is
connected to the main panel with four wires, 2 black and one white neutral
for 220, and a separate green ground wire. Neutral is attached to the green
ground wire only at the main panel.

The radio equipment will be connected to one heavy conductor (a copper or
aluminum bar) within the shack.

The tower is a bit more than 100 feet away.  It has several ground rods.  If
lightning hits, the tower and its antennas are the most likely first
victims.

I'm planning to put some PolyPhaser lightning arrestors inline to the
antenna coax, and through that effort the coax shield will be bonded to the
tower's ground system.

Are you advocating a separate wire 100+' heavy copper wire to connect the
tower's ground system to the power company ground rod outside the garage?

Is this "single point ground"?  Looks like multiple paths to ground to me.

Is there a reason to run a separate wire from the shack ground plate to the
power company ground rod, or would it suffice to connect it to the green
wire inside the sub panel, which has a green wire to the main panel and then
to the power company ground rod.  Isn't that more "single point" than a
separate parallel ground line?

Dick, K6KR