Re: [TowerTalk] A different question (I think) on SPG

To: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] A different question (I think) on SPG
From: "Gene Fuller" <w2lu@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 16:16:45 -0400
I can't resist chipping in with my experience at the other end of the
"protection" spectrum.
I put up a 100 foot commercial tower (200 lb 20 foot sections) about 40
years ago. Guyed with heavy duty power company galvanized strand and power
company egg insulators, broken into non-resonant lengths, first guyed at
30-60-90, now 30-70-90 to allow clearance for TH-6 @ 45 feet  on a side
gate.
Out of a combination of ignorance and naivete I just used several good
ground rods (2x6' and 2x8') at the tower and one 8' outside the shack
window. Not a thing done to the house systems. Equipment each "grounded" to
a heavy wire, to a strap to the "station" ground rod. I may be courting
disaster, but I've never had a problem. Fourty years ago, but no longer as
much, the tower was 30-40 feet above the trees and heavy lightning storms
have come down my street on numerous occasions. I see two possible
mitigating factors. All coax and control lines are burrued at least 6" for
about 200 feet from the tower to the house. Also, I theorize that the
combination of antennas and guywires are effectively creating  a "point
discharge" protection system. Point discharge protection seems to have
escaped discussion.
I'm sure we we all know of cases of severe damage by lightning. I feel very
lucky to have escaped, but based on 40 years of good luck I'm hesitant to
change anything.
Gene / W2LU