Re: [TowerTalk] Heights aluminum tower

To: Steve Sala <k7awb@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Heights aluminum tower
From: Ryan Jairam <rjairam@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 19:14:06 -0400
I have a self supporting tower (AN Wireless) and apart from the fact
that it tapers more sharply, it has a wider base than an equivalent
guyed tower. The steel is also thicker, hence the additional cost. It
is also heavier as a result.

Tower gurus may differ but IMHO guy wires are totally unnecessary for
any self supporting tower unless you are overloading the tower or live
in a very high wind area.  Not having guy wires brings a number of
advantages, including not wasting land space, raising/lowering
antennas is much easier, and you don't have to insulate/breakup metal
wires or deal with nonmetallic alternatives that can deteriorate in
UV.

Ryan, N2RJ

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 6:35 PM, Steve Sala <k7awb@msn.com> wrote:
> What is it that makes a standalone tower stand alone?  without guys?  I have
> a used Heights tapered aluminum tower which I am going to install sort of
> close to the shack to put my Vhf/Uhf yagis on to minimize feedline length.
> Is it because the taper makes the shape sort of triangular which, I bet, is
> the most stable of geometric shapes (compared to a Rohn 25-45, etc. which
> all sections are non-tapered)?
>
> Would I affect anything by adding a set of guys so I don't panic as much
> when I climb it to install the sections and then the rotator and yagis?
> Even though the hole in the ground holding the three long bolts would be
> about 7 feet deep by  4 feet wide, minimizing movement is an objective while
> I am up there.  I was thinking of three  Phillystran guys that I connect to
> ground anchors when I am on the tower and then either removing them from the
> ground anchors for operation or keeping them on for extra stability.
>
> This Heights tower is going to be 60 feet tall although it originally was
> 112 tall.  A friend topped it off later at 60 feet with a new flat plate so
> he it would not interfere with his astrophotography in his yard.
>
> 73
> Steve
> K7AWB
> Nine Mile Falls, WA