Re: [TowerTalk] Preferred Come Along or Puller?

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Preferred Come Along or Puller?
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 22:28:53 -0400
Ed Richardson wrote:
> Planning some tower work that may involve lifting a loaded mast a few
> inches. Does the group have a preferred model or models for this type of
> device? My tummy tells me the 4 or 5 ton models by Neiko found
> frequently on Ebay would be too risky for this type of work.
>
> Looking for something with double ratchet, at least two hooks and with a
> cable at least 3.4m (10') long would seem minimum specs. What do
> thetower experts say and use?
>
> Ed
> VE4EAR

Ed,

The standard cable puller in the tower biz is the Tirfer T500 series:

http://www.midwestunlimited.com/detail.lasso?cat_master=1009&cat_level=1164&product_id=11333

or http://tinyurl.com/2w3gozr

It's pricey.

A less expensive but good quality puller is made by Lug-All:

http://www.midwestunlimited.com/detail.lasso?cat_master=1009&cat_level=1164&product_id=11330
or http://tinyurl.com/373dh2d

The Lug-All should be excellent for your purpose.

73,
Steve K8LX