Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Underground Utilities

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Underground Utilities
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 13:16:26 -0400

On 8/30/2010 10:03 AM, hanslg@aol.com wrote:

>   You better think again, Roger,
>
> Your line begins where your contract with the utility says it begins and that
> may be anywhere between you and the utility company. It might (not necessary
> every time) be easy with the telephone company as they install a demarcation
> point, that's the box there you can test if something is wrong with you
> wiring simply but plugging in a telephone and see if you get a dial tone. It
> is not that simple with electric, cable, gas, sewer etc. You have to check
> with each provider what the contract says. Sorry!
Apparently this is one of those YMMV as here, the utility provider
claims everything right up to the meter and gas shut off. They do not
want you touching anything on their side of those devices.  Even the
phone company checks every thing right up to the box on the house.  If
it's on their side of the box...no charge, but if the problem is on your
side it's $50.

There can be some pretty steep fines for digging without calling
missdig, although I don't know if they enforce it.   They can check out
the underground lines for a lot of homes for the cost of having to
repair a single gas or electric feed.  It's much cheaper for them to pay
for the checking than the labor and materials for the repair of one
line.  Besides, it's for the home owner's/Ham's safety.    They'd really
be unhappy if they had to evacuate a whole neighborhood because some one
dug through a gas line.

73

Roger (K8RI)