[TowerTalk] Which feedline to use + 9913F7 Resp. DAVIS RF CO. ^^^

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Which feedline to use + 9913F7 Resp. DAVIS RF CO. ^^^
From: Stephen Davis <sdavis@davisrf.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 15:25:35 -0400
  Hi, I have to agree with Grant, we do a lot of cables for a Nycoil assembly
house and never have we supplied hard line.  The RF cable needs only to be low
loss coax due to the short length vs. acceptable attenuation for the
application.   There are also MANY other cables , wires, in there...picture a
100 ft. Nycoil (the red conduit you see, slinky, around the telescoping mast)
being laid FLAT in a channel type metal "guide",  and the installers hoping
that the retainers don't let go or it is actually dangerous (it's coiled
"memory")... has to be laid flat for up to 100 ft. in order to get the cables
pulled thru.

Ref the original question,  you can just about use any coax, hard line,
Bury-Flex Tm, LMR -400 for a rotar loop...just judge the flexibility, turn
radius, height to antenna, etc.  and figure out the right length which will
accomdate the cable choice.   I don't suggest LMR-400 UF if you want it to last
for many years.  The TPE outer jacket of 400 UF is not great in UV, but the
std. 400 (as does Bury-FLex) uses a PE outer jacket which will hold up for
years.  If you feel you need
max. flex, contact us for Belden 9913F7, a great cable that uses their Belflex
Tm outer jacket which is highly UV resistant for a blend of PVC, double
shielded for 100% shield coverage (and NOT to be confused with their other 9913
cable).

For the coil around the crank-up tower (and even for the rotar loop) I
recommend  Bury-Flex, TM (Davis RF). It works extremely well for crank ups,
doesn't bind, and it is less expensive vs. LMR-400.  Available at most of our
dealers.

Cheers, Steve  K1PEK
DAVIS RF Co.,  Div. of Orion Wire Co., Inc.

Wire, Cable, RF Connectors and wire aerial parts.

LMR, Heliax, Eupen

Commercial / Military

Custom Cable Design

tel:  978-369-1738     Fax:  978-369-3484
www.DavisRF.com