[TowerTalk] RG213 AND ROTOR CABLE

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RG213 AND ROTOR CABLE
From: "Craig Clark" <jcclark@myfairpoint.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 16:19:34 -0400

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 14:29:49 -0600
From: MARK HAMMOND <k7hph@q.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Replacing RG-213 and Rotor Cable
To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>

Hello All:

Thanks for all of the responses. If it was good, I would keep too!  But
unfortunately, it is not. The jackets on the side facing the East Wind are
beginning to show signs of cracking. We have cold winters and lots of wind
where I live. And it takes it's toll on the wire. So I replace it about
every ten years or so to avoid doing it when it gets cold... So, with that
said, I see many store brands out there, but not the Brands that I have used
in passed years. What are the best brands being sold today and who sales
them?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Mark

There are a number of us who sell coax and rotor cable. To name a few:
Radioware, Davis, The Wireman The RFC, Texas Towers as well as HRO and AES
and apologies to those I have forgotten.

Many of us buy from Carol and ADC and offer it as a lower cost alternative
to Belden. The analogy is band name versus store brand. In most cases the
quality is as good as the name brand but without the marketing and overhead
costs.

Up here in the wilds of NH, we have extremely cold weather and recently,
fairly harsh summers. Personally, I favor the Davis Buryflex polyethylene
coax and have used it in building my station. I also favor the PE rotor
cables. The PE is tough and will stand up to years of sun and cold. It has a
double shield, stranded center conductor and foam insulation. Steve Davis
designed it for direct burial and installation in extreme locations. It is
also low loss up to UHF frequencies. I have used it on a crank-up tower as
well as fixed installations. Here is some data from the website:

Our unique RF-9914F, direct burial, Bury-FlexTm has loss specs only slightly
higher than 9913 but is many times more rugged and watertight. Specs: 50
ohms, PE .405" Jacket, Foam Dielectric with mylar barrier, #9.5 Conductor,
95% braid/100%foil shield, 83% Velocity of Propagation, and a Capacitance of
25.0 pf/ft. For coax attenuation, refer to our Cable Loss Table Also
provided are Coax Applications. Prices in the table below are for
unterminated (i.e. no connectors) cable lengths. RF-9914F Cable Assemblies &
Jumper Cables terminated with either PL-259 or N connector plugs are also
available.

Let me know if you have any questions.

73 Craig

Craig Clark K1QX