Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Protection Question

To: "reflector -tower" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Protection Question
From: "K1TTT" <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 11:28:10 +0000
They should be at the shack entrance panel. it sounds like you have a common
misconception about the 'Single Point Ground' concept.  THE SPG is the point
where the cables all come together and enter the shack.  At that 'Single
Point' all the voltages on the cables get equalized by use of lightning
arresters so inside the shack there are no potential differences between
them to damage equipment or harm people.   The tower 200' away is going to
have a large voltage difference during a lightning stroke even if it has a
thick cable connected to the shack ground.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net