[TowerTalk] MOW - gas discharge tubes

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] MOW - gas discharge tubes
From: HansLG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 08:48:59 EDT
MOV-s are useless at these frequencies. They can't even be used for
protection of phone lines.

Gas arrestors have the low capacitance you are looking for. If you check
out a surge protector for phone lines you find gas tubes together with small
fuses.

Hans - N2JFS

I would think the gas tube would be ok, low shunt C and all that, but  the
MOV would likely be bad. I use dual-element gas tubes across the line  on
both ends of my bi-directional Beverages, and although I have never done  a
before/after test, I do seem to have "normal" Beverage  directivity.

73,
geo - n4ua