Re: [TowerTalk] 80-m. Inverted Vee vs. Dipole Performance

To: RLVZ@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80-m. Inverted Vee vs. Dipole Performance
From: Tom Haavisto <kamham69@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 11:53:56 -0400
I have an inverted vee installed on a 48 foot tower - apex is around 45 feet.
On another (64 foot) tower, I have 2 half-slopers - one for phone, one for CW.

I have found the half-slopers work very well working DX, and have been
my primary 80 meter antennas for a number of years.  Also work well
for working North America

I installed the inverted vee about a year ago so I could do some A/B
comparisons.

Working DX, the slopers are far better.  i was listening to a local
about 30 miles away running QRP.  He was about S2 on the sloper, S9 on
the inverted vee.  For most of my operating, I end up using the
sloper.

One thing I also did was to install a number of radials around the
tower with the slopers.  For a relatively simple antenna, it works
very well.  Given a choice, the inverted vee would be the first one to
go away.

Tom - VE3CX