Re: [TowerTalk] 80-m. Inverted Vee vs. Dipole Performance

To: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80-m. Inverted Vee vs. Dipole Performance
From: Kelly Taylor <theroadtrip@mts.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 23:14:58 -0500
I think this all reminds me of the bumblebee axiom quoted here (or on
Cq-contest, can't remember), which said that -- and it is fact --
aerodynamic experts, calculating mass and wing surface area, have concluded
the mathematically, bees can't fly. The bees, not knowing any better, just
fly.

I think in the Bert/David scenario (and I'm not being critical either way),
the more important distinction is this: it depends on whether you think ham
radio is a technical hobby where you must calculate every step in every
process to 10 decimal points or whether you think ham radio is primarily an
experimentation hobby where you will try different things and see if they
work.

I would also suggest that which way you lean depends largely on what you
have at stake: if you're planning multiple 190-foot rotating towers with
multiple stacks of monobanders on each, you probably want to be as
reasonably assured as current modelling technology allows that it will work,
that the various antennas are at their optimum heights and that
structurally, it's not going to go all scrapyard on you.

If, on the other hand, you're only risking about $80 in materials from The
Wireman, you are probably more comfortable just putting it up and seeing how
it plays.

In the middle are the guys who want to plan an experiment, pose a
hypothesis, conduct the experiment, prove or disprove the hypothesis and
document the results, irrespective of the size of the investment. (Names
like Sevick, Cebik and Rauch come to mind.)

All are valid in my view and to each their own.

73, kelly
ve4xt