Re: [TowerTalk] Newbee concrete rebar questions

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Newbee concrete rebar questions
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 12:56:56 -0700

Personally, I think it is highly unlikely that significant corrosion
would travel down the path of a thin wire.  It certainly isn't a
moisture issue, since moisture readily penetrates concrete anyway.  It's
the PH of the concrete that inhibits corrosion of the embedded rebar
even though it ALWAYS gets "wet" unless you live in Antarctica.
Corrosion only travels along a wire or rod if it is large enough that
the PH of the concrete is physically buffered from the iron core.  I
don't think that is likely with a thin wire.

If you're worried about it, though, use something like copper wire or
stainless steel wire.  There may be some dissimilar metal corrosion
where the wire meets the rebar, but as soon as the junction rots away
the corrosion would stop as well.

Or just use something strong and non-metallic like nylon twine.  As I
said, there's no point in worrying about a path for moisture because of
the porosity of the concrete, and you're going to get microcracks in the
concrete anyway.

73,
Dave   AB7E