Re: [TowerTalk] Newbee concrete rebar questions

To: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Newbee concrete rebar questions
From: Mickey Baker <fishflorida@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 19:44:52 -0400
Careful not to "under-think" the situation.

Think about the weather where you live, wherever that is. It gets hot -
metal expands at one rate, concrete at a slightly different rate. It rains.
Rain will cool the metal and the concrete, they both will contract, although
the metal contracts a bit faster than the concrete. Water is drawn into this
gap by this very powerful force. The metal starts to corrode and oxidizes.
The oxidants take up more room than the original metal - this chemical
reaction is very powerful, forcing the concrete away from the metal causing
micro-fractures. The concrete around the wire then crumbles and washes away
with more rain, which makes the hole bigger.

Perhaps, depending on where you live, it freezes, causing more crumbling or
perhaps a crack. More water, bigger crack... you get the idea.

This might take months, or years... but it happens.

The bolts or rebar of a tower base is much larger than wire, which reduces
wicking and, in many cases, are flanged (with washers, nuts or a base) to
keep water out. Most plans require this metal/concrete interface to be
"crowned" or grouted for the same reason.

Rebar that isn't imbedded in concrete is subject to this corrosion as well
as "break through" as torsion loads are applied - which means the structure
could fail as a result.

Be safe!

73,

Mickey N4MB