Re: [TowerTalk] Free climbing a 1700' tower

To: "Doug Westacott" <ve6pr@canada.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Free climbing a 1700' tower
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 04:32:40 -0700

From: "Doug Westacott" <ve6pr@canada.com>
Sent: Sunday, September 19, 2010 6:16 PM
To: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>; <towertalk@contesting.com>

> Jim
>

> re: para 3
>

> A fall arrest cable or rail prevents the climber from falling about "zero"
> inches.. actual distance depends on how tight your harness is on...

##  it all depends on the length of the lanyard used, and whether it is say
a 3'-6' rigid rope  type,  or a 3'-6'  bungee type....and where you hook
to... like the hook 7"  below
your neck [on the newer full  fall arrest harness].  In the old 1976 Roh
catalog, they had the same thing, but it hooked to your waist belt, right
where your belt buckle would be.
If a full fall arrest body harness is used, and lanyard hooked to the 'D'
ring part way down the middle of your back,  and you fell,  and depending on
length of lanyard,
and  where on the safety cable / rail  it's sitting at the time,  you could
fall anywhere  from a few inchs to several feet, before it engages.

> The steel cable or rail is fitted with a slider that moves up freely but
> provides a postive dead stop brake in the event of sudden downward
> movement....

## The pro-tower installer here in town uses both systems, depending  on
what commercial tower he is on.  He prefers the safety rail to the 3/8"
cable.

> Please check either the Saliwa or Trylon sites for a complete description
> of these devices...foolproof and safe....
>
> I install these on all of the commercial towers I build (mandatory by law
> in Canada)...

##  I just read on the web, where a fellow  [ in eastern canada] fell  60'
before the RAIL engaged itself.   The fellow was seriously injured.  Forget
who made the rail, but they have been recalled.
The manufacturer [ it was not trylon] no longer makes the rail system.  CSA
tested it.. and IF you fell  straight down, it engages.   IF you fall,
leaning forward, it will also engage.
However,  if you fell  leaning backwards, the mechanism would NOT engage!
Trylon sez that if a fall occurs, the entire 3/8" safety cable has to be
tossed per csa regs..and replaced.  And that
includes the entire  top bolting assy/mounting plate.   IMO,  3/8" winch
cable, with dual nicropress crimps at the top, and huge bolt assy, is not
abt to snap any time  soon.

> As for Ham type tin towers ( Delhi, Trylon Titan and Rohn Bx) they can be
> installed but the towers do not provide a 5000 lb anchor point as per the
> device ratings less the point at which the splice bolts attach to the
> concrete footing....

##  On the rail system for the trylon titan towers, the rail is bolted to
the tower leg, abt every foot, the entire length of the tower. In that case,
the dead weight is held by the entire rail.
If a cable is used, you are correct, the entire weight is held by the top
bolt assy.   Trylon titan towers are made of 32 ksi sheet metal, and are not
super strong, or thick leg material [ditto with braces]. They do not meet
CSA  S-37 cdn specs either.  The super titans  [legs] are made from 51 ksi
steel, and braces from 46 ksi steel..and do meet S-37 specs.  The legs are
very thick  [up to as much as 3/8"] ..and will handle as much as 25 mm of
ice...and high winds  simultaneously.  However, the super titans use those
5/8"  x 10"  long climbing bolts, which alternate sides, every 12" ..and
they form a 60 deg angle.  Fall, and ur chances of getting  a bolt through
your face/eye
are very good.    Eye protection is a good idea. Some debris/dirt, etc,
blows into your eye, it will drive you nuts.

> > All said .. fall arrest cables and rails are the industry standard
> > here... I use them every day...

##  I have yet to see one cdn  ham tower  with either a cable or rail system
installed.   I was very close to installing the rail system on my
trylon..then dumped the plan, because I was going to install
a  32"  ID/ 40"  OD  tic-ring rotor  to the tower [at the 56' level] .  It
was going to be a gong show to stop below the ring, then re-start above the
ring.  Side mount rotor's / fixed yagis, rotatable towers,
make implementing any kind of safety  rail/cable  almost impossible.    On
a K0XG rotating tower, it flat out can't be done..too bad.

> Lastly..I usually check the slider and cable at about the 3 foot level
> prior to a climb.. a simulated fall...simply let the slider take my weight
> and then tell my ground guy I'll be back !!!

##  excellent idea.  Have you see how much they want for a commercial
version of either a rail  or safety cable  complete assy ??    Most hams
would not do it based on cost alone.   However,  3/8" winch cable
and  nicropress crimpS are cheap... and after seeing what a commercial assy
looks like, [ including the bottom spring/bottom turnbuckle] ,  I would not
hesitate to HB  such an assy.

later... Jim  VE7RF