Re: [TowerTalk] "Top loading" of HF2-V vertical

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] "Top loading" of HF2-V vertical
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 12:23:50 -0700
The vertical antenna literature recommends loading a short vertical,
efficiency worst to best as bottom coil, center coil, capacity hat.
More top capacitance needs less coil inductance if both are used. My 80m
vertical is 3' irrigation pipe by 40' with a 12' diameter hat of 6 x
3/8" Al tubing and 11ga Al perimeter wire, no coils.  I'm very pleased
with the performance, and bandwidth and feed impedance.

Try some designs in EZNEC, and you will see the tradeoffs.

Grant  KZ1W