Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing

To: Jim Thomson <jim.thom@telus.net>, k1ttt@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing
From: "Doug Westacott" <ve6pr@canada.com>
Date: 20 Sep 2010 18:43:51 -0700
Gentlemen

As per my previous response on this subject...fall arrest cables are specified
to be installed at anchors rated at 5000 lbs force....

The rocket scientists/government regs, CSA, OSHA etc up here demand an 8.75
kilo newton anchor per climber...

My math works it out that 2 climbers can safely be on one cable...with ease...

Anyway...the way I see it...I have met alot of HAMS that all own climbing belts
of various descriptions...however when I call on them to come up their tower to
give me a hand...they all decline....maybe its a status symbol to own a belt
?????

As far as the USA and Canada are concerned... the Federal/State/Province regs,
in reality, are pretty well the same... of course none of these apply to us
HAM's and most times on the local jobs I do for the fellows I m glad they
don't...

Doug

VE6PR