[TowerTalk] SteppIR vertical

To: "'TowerTalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] SteppIR vertical
From: "Steve Daniel" <nn4t@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 09:35:41 -0500
Good morning. I have the 6-40 meter vertical which, until recently, has worked
well. Suddenly, I was hearing nothing. The element seems to cycle properly but
no signals.
After checking the coax and finding no problem I opened the unit at the bottom
of the antenna to find it full of ants and not a few small spiders. The gasket
was in good repair so they must be entering from underneath somehow. My
question is this. How can I clean out the mess they have left without damaging
the motor? Can I use an insecticide to kill the little critters? Can I hose out
the unit, allow it to dry, try to determine the entry point and then plug it?
Then perhaps I can determine what the electrical problem is. I am just not sure
how aggressive I can be in cleaning the unit. If anyone has any experience or
suggestions I would certainly appreciate the input. 73, Steve, NN4T.