Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR vertical

To: xdavid@cis-broadband.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR vertical
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 16:10:55 EDT
And further, if you don't let the housing breathe, that  condensation can
accumulate and eventually fill it with water.

Trying to seal a box like that will never prevent vapor laden atmosphere
from entering the box but can seal condensation from escaping. Air apparently
 will travel through much smaller spaces than water.

I have seen this process take place inside hollow Heliax center conductors
and in a few days flood the downhill connector with water droplets. In this
 case, the answer was sealing the center pin as if it were a water pipe by
use of  plumbers tape around the center pin before installation.

If you could actually totally seal the box in question, you might be able
to prevent the problem. But, the problem is: you can't. And if you could,
you  have to evacuate all air from the box otherwise there will be some water
vapor  and condensation of that. You can't win!

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 9/27/2010 2:57:58 P.M. Central Daylight Time,