Re: [TowerTalk] Ran Short of Concrete

To: Steve Bagley <n2mai@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ran Short of Concrete
From: Mickey Baker <fishflorida@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 19:57:18 -0400
You are correct, if you mixed 80 pound bags of Sakrete according to their
recommendation, you have one cubic yard of concrete in the ground, minus any
waste.

What dimensions does Ameritower recommend for the base of the tower that you
have designed for the wind load you want to carry?
You might find it here: http://www.amertower.com/
Or give them a call!

Concrete is almost always better than topsoil, but follow the manufacturer's
recommendation! If your hole is, say, 3' by 3' and you need to add another
6", it is going to take 10 more bags. I've always put a form up and poured
above grade - it helps keep water from around the legs of the tower, thus
preventing rust. The manufacturer of the tower likely has a specific
recommendation.

If your hole is larger, you need more concrete.

Here's a handy concrete calculator:
http://www.sakrete.com/products/calculators.cfm/selectedCalculator/Concrete#concrete

50' is a fairly tall tower. Don't scrimp. You won't like the outcome if you
do!

Be safe - 73,

Mickey, N4MB

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 11:42 AM, Steve Bagley <n2mai@arrl.net> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Another concrete question...  I mixed 45 80lb bags yesterday (electric
> mixer) and still ran short!  My guess is that I have one cubic yard in the
> ground with the tower base in it.  I am about 6 inches below grade.
>
> Thoughts on how to rectify this?  Add more concrete on top?  Fill the top
> with gravel for drainage? Fill the top with topsoil?
>
> My son worked his butt off helping me!  Any ideas would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Tower is going to be an Ameritower, 50 foot with a Mosley TA-33.  Guyed, of
> course.
>
> Steve, N2MAI

Mickey Baker
Fort Lauderdale, FL
“Tell me, and I will listen. Show me, and I will understand. Involve me, and
I will learn.” Teton Lakota, American Indian Saying.