[TowerTalk] Crimped PL-259's

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Crimped PL-259's
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 20:02:38 -0700
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 17:28:14 -0400
From: Les Kalmus <w2lk@bk-lk.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crimped PL-259's

  Jim (VE),

Where can I find this RFS corrugated cable (in red below)? The prices I
have found are triple what you mentioned.
I need to find some before the cold weather sets in.

Les W2LK

##  Steve Davis......from Davis RF.
Beware, the  7-16 connectors are slightly different  [and probably Type N]
between
the corrugated AL  outer conductor..and the corrugated CU outer conductor
versions
of the same cable.   BOTH still have a corrugated CU center conductor.   After
going around in circles
with coax dealer's lately, I lucked out with Steve Davis.  He really went the
extra mile, and then some, when it
came time to research out different versions of 7-16 combi connectors, etc. [
some had different V breakdown]
He knows all the sources, and exact part numbers, crimp tools , dies etc. I'm
getting email from him, on the weekend,
at his summer place..... while he's in the middle of that last hurricane!
Contrast that with the 24 yr old female teeny bopper
I was dealing with in VE6 land, who didn't know the AL outer conductor version
even existed.  I had to send the pdf to her,
to convince her.   It was like pulling teeth.   The final straw was... "do you
have a commercial account with us" ... and
the price is "$6.00 per foot"    Their connector prices were absurd too..so was
the wait times.

##  last time I required large quantities of RG-393 teflon coax and mating 7-16
male crimp connector's, dies, etc. Steve
came through on record time with exactly what I wanted..and the best prices
bar none.  I don't even bother with other
dealer's these days, they waste my time with their lack of knowledge and long
wait times.

Later... Jim   VE7RF