Re: [TowerTalk] Likely repairs for a US Tower HDX589MDPL crank-up tower?

To: Mat Eshpeter <kk1c@live.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Likely repairs for a US Tower HDX589MDPL crank-up tower?
From: ROBERT HARMON <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 20:06:28 -0700
Mat,

I have the same tower.
Bought it new 19 years ago.  5 years ago had the cables and several pulleys
replaced and
there were a  few spotty areas of rust on the tower legs, not very much.
Sprayed these with cold galvanize spray
The motor, reduction gear, limit switches, were all in good shape and still are.
We live in the San Francisco Bay area and the biggest enemy is rust.
I would do an inspection of the cables and pulleys first, they are they first
to give problems.  I doubt if the motor and drive
have any problems.  Do you know how long it had been up before you bought it ?
One good thing, it is easier to recable it lying down horizontally (and much
safer)

Bob
K6UJ