Re: [TowerTalk] Likely repairs for a US Tower HDX589MDPL crank-up tower?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Likely repairs for a US Tower HDX589MDPL crank-up tower?
From: "Don Tucker" <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 22:55:13 -0700
Why would you have to replace cables and pulleys?  Are they damaged, frayed,
rusted badly??  If not, lube the cables with good cable lube, grease the
pulley axle pins (replace the cotters with SS ones),inspect, inspect again
and erect.  I did replace the bolts at the cable ends with SS HS bolts. I
have two crankups, a 70 and a 50 and am in a salt water environment. Both
are at least 10 years old. Pull cable and pulley lube maintainance yearly
and they are in good shape. Inspect, inspect.

Don W7WLL