[TowerTalk] Adjusting a Gamma Match on a Yagi with an Antenna Analyzer

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Adjusting a Gamma Match on a Yagi with an Antenna Analyzer
From: "Chuck" <w5pr@swbell.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 20:49:06 -0600
I hate adjusting gamma matches through trial and error.  I am hoping my new
antenna analyzer will help.

I computer designed a 10 meter Yagi which designed at a feed impedance of 31.2
+ j18.3.  This is inductive, I assume.

I have a gamma match, the antenna mounted at 15 feet and my antenna analyzer
says (through an analyzer measured 1 wavelength 50 ohm feed line) Z=66 ohms,
X=-52 ohms and C=105

My take is to move the tap closer to the boom until it is about Z=50 ohms and,
if there is still a negative X, to lengthen the DE.  Of course, the changes
will interact with each other and I will need to go back and forth until Z=50
and X=0.

Am I on the right track?

Chuck W5PR