Re: [TowerTalk] Ball of radials??

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ball of radials??
From: "Ron W8RJL" <youngron@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 13:49:26 -0500
Dan,

Think of the waves of energy radiating out from your vertical, rolling out
across the ground. This energy that hits the ground needs to get back to the
shield side of your coax. If the radial wires are laid out across the ground
the waves of RF will not have to travel back through the ground (which has
resistance) to get to the coax shield thus the antenna will be more
efficient.  Can you talk to people with the wires in a ball, sure, mobile
stations contact other stations all the time , the car body is like your
ball of wire, more or less. So, use it as is or improve your signal and
untangle that mess and spread em out.
73, Ron W8RJL