[TowerTalk] High enough for a small beam?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] High enough for a small beam?
From: "Derek Cohn/WB0TUA" <vibroplex@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 09:22:06 -0600
Hi Everyone,

I'm starting on my first tower project and looking at various options:

* U.S. Tower MA-40 in my back yard
* Glen Martin Rooftop tower

For a beam, my options are:

* Mosley TA-33 (not jr.) I already have
* Optibeam OBW10-5 10 Element wirebeam

The U.S. tower MA-40 is my first choice for tower but I live in an inner-ring
suburb and am tangling with the city on the permit process (what a surprise).

My question is about the viability of using a rooftop tower.  The peak of my
house is 24 feet plus change.  An 8' or 9' would put me right around 33' which
I think is the magic number (1/4 wave) above ground on the lowest band these
beams are designed for.  Is this "high enough" above ground so that the beam
will be properly resonant and that it will be effective?  I know that on top of
the MA-40 is a better choice but if the city fights back hard, is it worth
putting up at 32' or 33'?

One last question, if I get shot down with an 8' or 9' tower, I see that Glen
Martin also has one that is 4 1/2 feet.  That would put me right at 29 feet
above ground.  It would be significantly more low profile but does the 4' that
I'm losing with option significantly degrade the performance?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me,

Derek Cohn
WB0TUA