[TowerTalk] Tune 160/80 Vertical

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tune 160/80 Vertical
From: <w3oa@roadrunner.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 11:36:20 -0500
I'm helping a friend who has an 80 meter 1/4 wave vertical.  At the top, he has
a 160 meter trap then a wire extending horizontally for 160 meters.  It is
therefore an inverted L on 160.

The SWR on 80 is good and can be adjusted nicely by changing the length of the
vertical component.  160 meters, however is somewhat of a problem.

The minimum SWR he can achieve on 160 is about 1.7:1.  Of course the object
here is to lower the SWR on 160.   Here are some readings we took with my MFJ
-269 antenna analyzer in case this helps anyone.

1.770, Rs 16, Xs 0, SWR 3:1
1.800, Rs 27, Xs 15, SWR 2:1
1.825, Rs 45, Xs 26, SWR 1.7:1
1.85, Rs 79, Xs 31, SWR 1.9:1
1.875, Rs 128, Xs 2, SWR 2.5:1

Can anyone point us in the right direction to find a solution?

Thanks,

Dick, W3OA