Re: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft Parts From MFJ

To: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft Parts From MFJ
From: Charlie Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 10:32:28 -0500
On 11/25/2010 Jim Thomson wrote:

> ##  My guess is, instead of using  6061-T6  or  6063-T832,  they have  gone
> to a cheap alloy, like  3003,  which comes in various grades of hardness,
> listed
> as  H-0  to H-14.    H-0   is only 6 ksi yield, and the  strongest is no
> match  for
> 6061-T6  or  6063-T832.

What is interesting is "yield strength" vs ultimate strength - various tempers
WILL have different yield strengths - "Yield strength" is the amount of force
to cause the material to BEND and NOT return to it's original shape - "Ultimate
strength" is the amount of force needed to BREAK the material

Now, IF the alloy is actually the same (hint, a lot of the Al that is sold is
NOT the same for the different tempers, and some can't be tempered after
alloying) - the "Ultimate strength" doesn't change - Note however, the Alcoa
data sheets DO tend to guarantee a higher ultimate strength for higher tempers
(not all - lets talk 6061 - they  guarantee the same minimum for T0 and T4 -
and of course T6 and T6511 are the same - in fact I often see t651(1) sub'd for
T6)

I know you take say a piece of 0-1 steel - the ultimate strength is totally
unchanged by hardening - what IS strange - say you go just under yield strength
- the hardened steel will flex a LOT less that the unhardened, and still
return, but they break at the same point

If I see my wife's uncle this holiday season, I'll ask him to write something
up - he's a (now retired) PhD in materials science who specializes in Alloys
(mostly Fe Alloys), and is considered one of the top guys in the field (as in
international award winning)

--
73 de KG2V - Charles Gallo
Quality Custom Machine-shop work for the radio amateur (sm)