Re: [TowerTalk] Tuners

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tuners
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 00:44:36 -0700
You're getting your tail feathers in a knot for no good reason.

1.  I'll bet very few of your wire antennas fit the class of antennas
Rick described.
2.  What's your point about a receiver?  20db down from everyone else is
20db down from everyone else ... it doesn't have anything to do with the
receiver.
3.  If it took you 59 years to get 327 countries confirmed I don't think
you're making a very good argument.  The proof would be how well you
stack up against other stations in a contest or similar short term
comparison.

Please don't get me wrong ... I used verticals and low wire antennas in
an antenna restricted area for many, many years, and most of them were
fed through a well built home brew antenna tuner.  There were fairly
efficient because I made an effort to make them so, worked reasonably
well when driven with a kilowatt, and I worked a lot of stuff with
them.  None of them held a candle to even a simple decently sized dipole
on a tower, though, such as you likely have.  And all of them were
better than the kind of stuff Rick is talking about.

Dave   AB7E