Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Incident Joke

To: TowerTalk <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Incident Joke
From: Alan NV8A <nv8a@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 17:42:19 -0500
On 12/03/10 03:58 pm, jimlux wrote:

>>> interesting.. the voice over (in a UK accent) describes a 10 meter high
>>> structure while the drawing says 30 ft...
>>>
>> That's pretty close ... converts to 32 1/2 feet.
>
> Yes, and doesn't have spurious accuracy.  The scaffold is "about 30 feet
> high" and also "about 10 meters high"...
>
> (although remembering that 15 meters is very close to 50 feet is handy)

When VK-land changed from the Imperial system of weights and measures to
the Metric system (which they did by stages, with gasoline being sold by
the litre from a certain date, lumber sizes becoming metric from a
certain date, etc., etc.), it used to drive me crazy to see newspaper
reports that the suspect was "approximately 177.8 cm" or that the
vehicle was traveling at "approximately 64.36 km/h": obviously someone
gave a round figure in Imperial measurements and some idiot converted it
to an exact Metric equivalent.

73

Alan NV8A
(long-ago VK4AFE)