Re: [TowerTalk] Breaking all the tower climbing rules at an

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Breaking all the tower climbing rules at an
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 16:13:20 -0800
Having worked with the safety and environmental folks at NASA Ames (we
were going to buy some land for private use) it seems they work they way
of all bureaucrats.  It is always safer (for their jobs) to say NO. It
is always safer (for their jobs) to take whatever standard safety margin
is rational and proven, then double it, and just to be sure double it
again.  The goal is too eliminate any chance of being criticized or
being sued, ignoring cost/benefit or actual safety/risk analysis, and
often reality has little to do with the regs, rules, processes.  Ladders
would sure be safer if the top 10 rungs were disallowed.

We gave up after two years of their BS.  What an incredibly good
decision it was in retrospect after talking to others that persisted and
located there.

I also remember the auction of UT's rocket test facility which was under
OSHA supervision.  A rigger was required to remove any item from
shelving if it was more than 4 feet from the ground.  Didn't matter if
it weighed 5 lbs - get a rigger.  The auctioneer had so much grief he
called the whole thing off, moved everything off site and had a
do-over.  This and many other experiences makes me a little skeptical
about OSHA rules being invoked as the right way to do something.

Grant KZ1W