Re: [TowerTalk] 80/40 coax trap dipole design

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80/40 coax trap dipole design
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 13:05:44 -0800
On 12/15/2010 6:02 AM, Timothy Coker wrote:
> I choose a double bazooka based on the claims of increased bandwidth
> over a dipole and retained high efficiency.

Don't believe everything you read. :)
> I have now been looking into a shortened dipole that will fit within
> my yard. Barry at Hypower seems to make an honest product. He has a
> 73' long shortned 80m dipole, which I am not sure if it will be ideal
> for my space? My line of thinking is that a shortened dipole at 73'
> wouldn't be as good as a dipole at 100'.

That's true -- the more you shorten it, the greater the compromise in
radiation efficiency and bandwidth.

Someone else asked:

>  Is this the same general design used by the late W9INN ?

It's similar in concept, but the antenna similar to this that I bought from
W9INN a few years before he died was not well tuned at all, while Barry's work
well.

73, Jim K9YC