Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum clad wire

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum clad wire
From: "R. Morris" <robrk@nidhog.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 10:40:46 -0500
On 12/30/2010 10:17 AM, Robert Harmon wrote:

Works fine for dipoles and real ladder line.
Had dipoles up for five years. Made a center insulator from fiberglass
and SS 1/4- 20 bolts, double nuts.
Au under one nut, coax under the other.

Tractor Supply also has "fence spreaders", 3/8", 3 foot fiberglass rod.
Cut a bunch into 4" ladder line spreaders and use the Au wire.

> Jack,
> Wow, this looks like good stuff to use for some elevated radials I am
> planning.
> Thanks for posting this.
>
> Bob
> K6UJ
>

> On Dec 30, 2010, at 5:33 AM, Jack wrote:
>
>> Would this work?
>>
>> http://www.tractorsupply.com/electric-fencing/electric-fence-wire-poly-tapes/electric-fence-wire/aluminum-electric-fence-wire-14-ga-1-4-mile-3600867
>>

>> At 02:14 AM 12/30/2010, Grant Saviers wrote:
>>> I've been looking for aluminum clad steel wire for an antenna project
>>> and this led finally to a source for aluminum clad high tensile steel
>>> ($90 for 3000'  11 ga).  Certainly a LOT cheaper than copper or
>>> copperweld alternatives.
>>>
>>> http://www.kencove.com/fence/Aluminum+Clad+Wire+11-11.5+Gauge_detail_WAC11.php
>>>
>>> It took quite a bit of googling to find this, but now the question is
>>> why not use this for all wire antennas because it is cheap, very
>>> strong,  low-stretch, and corrosion resistant, although a little hard to
>>> bend.  One spool would make a lot of really tough through the woods
>>> Beveridges!  Also, there a number of horse fencing products that could
>>> be useful for wire antennas.
>>>
>>> There are some assumptions with this farm supplier, i.e. Al thickness is
>>> good enough for RF.  I found makers of well specified (ASTM B-415
>>> Hard-Drawn Aluminum-Clad Steel Wire) Al clad guy, ground, and shield
>>> wires for electric power distribution but the sizes and quantities per
>>> spool are rather large and I couldn't find any retail sources.  One tm
>>> is Alumoweld.
>>>
>>> Anybody know of sources for Al clad steel wire suitable for antenna use?
>>>
>>> Grant
>>> KZ1W
>>
>> Jack Hartley
>> K4WSB / VP2MSB