Re: [TowerTalk] MCL-100 limit switches

To: "Ed Magnuson" <w1mag@bellatlantic.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] MCL-100 limit switches
From: "K0DAN" <k0dan@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 11:36:22 -0600
Ed:

I don't own US Tower product but have replaced tower limit switches several
times....these are fairly generic devices, and Square-D makes a ton of great
industrial switches, many different configurations, weather/environment
protected, etc.:

http://www.schneider-electric.us/products-services/products/limit-switches/

Their products are sold by all the big electrical suppliers, and often can
be found new/used on the auction sites, etc.

Depending on your tower mfgr/model, your switch may require 120VAC or low
voltage. Some are normally-open, some normally-closed altho I think most
tower applications use normally-closed loops.

Even the "weatherproof" switches will eventually get internal corrosion,
which of course will disrupt the switch's functioning. Sometimes the
internal contacts (and gaskets, etc.) can be cleaned up & replaced, other
times it just makes more sense to replace the switch.

Another thing, the switches use an "arm" to sense the position of the tower
sections. Sometimes these "arms" (they have a wheel on the end also) will
break or become misaligned, and if you are lucky, you switch will just need
some repositioning.

If you want I can send you a few pix off-list as to how mine are
installed/interfaced (I have a Tri-Ex tower), and I may also have a few
spare switches which are surplus to my needs.

Let me know!

73

Dan
K0DAN