Re: [TowerTalk] MCL-100 limit switches

To: "N7US" <jim@n7us.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] MCL-100 limit switches
From: "K0DAN" <k0dan@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 11:53:09 -0600
That switch indeed says "Allen Bradley", but that IS the classic Square-D
switch I referred to in an earlier email! Perhaps A.B. bought Square-D, or
the switches are private-labeled?

In any case, these are exactly the right thing for tower limit switches.
They can be wired for N.O. or N.C., can handle decent volts/current, and the
head (with the activator) can be rotated 90 degrees when you install it.
There's a whole bunch of activator arms and other assemblies which fit on
the end of the shaft.

Altho these switches are "weather proof" (???), when i install them I put a
bead of silicone caulk along the seals, and also use wire & fittings
suitable for oil, UV, and other environmental hazards, then put a dollop of
caulk on the wire fitting as well. One more tip, is to install the switch
inverted, ie the control wire should be at the bottom, minimally exposed to
water intrusion.

If the tower owner can identify the basic type of switch, they can shop
(save money) for the same product from the industrial suppliers and get
exactly the same product. (I just checked the auction place, and there's
LOTS listed there.)

Good luck to all.

73
dan