Re: [TowerTalk] With utilities you never know

To: "Alan NV8A" <nv8a@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] With utilities you never know
From: "Peter Larsen" <ve6yc@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 08:28:23 -0700
Down state side you guys have the 811 "Call before you dig" number.
There is no excuse not to call for a locate before you dig. Simply call two
or three days before you dig to get your marks.
In some states it is ilegal to dig with out locates. (Although this maybe
only for comertial excavators not home owners. I don't know)
I am suprized that 'Ma Bell' gave you a depth on their facility! There is no
locate device that will give an acurate depth. I have used
most of the top end machines in my job. Also, always, always, always hand
expose the facility before bringing in power equipment!!

Even though I know where everything is on my property I still call before I
dig.

If you look at the NTSB and the Common Ground Aliance statistics you will
find that 70 to 80% of all facility damages are caused by
not having locates, or not respecting the locate marks.

Just my two cents.

Peter Larsen
VE6YC
Senior Locator for Enmax Power.