Re: [TowerTalk] Balun for G5RV

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Balun for G5RV
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 20:05:43 -0800
On 2/1/2011 1:57 PM, DGB wrote:
> And is it acceptable to enclose them in a non-conductive enclosure Jim,
> even at high power (1500w)?  We can get ice 3" thick sometimes!

It depends entirely on the degree of imbalance in the antenna, and to
some extent on the electrical length of the transmission line.  Greatest
stress is placed on a straight through choke when there is significant
imbalance. The strongest cause of imbalance is feeding the antenna far
off center.  An antenna with fairly good balance (for example, where the
only imbalance is non-symmetrical proximity to earth or to surrounding
conductive objects would not cause much dissipation in the choke, even
at high power. On the other hand, running high power into a strongly
unbalanced antenna (like a Windom) would likely put enough common
voltage across the choke to fry it, and putting it in an enclosure would
make it more likely to happen, and to happen at lower TX power, because
it inhibits heat transfer.

I agree with Jim Lux -- the primary concern is dissipation.

73, Jim K9YC