To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 98, Issue 14
From: "Wilson Lamb" <infomet@embarqmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 11:54:08 -0500
These will fail by compressing soil at the top of the hole.
Boring oversize for a few feet and filling with concrete level with the
surface would make the soil at the top look stronger.  Making the top plug
square would be even better.  If it's clay, you can probably drill 18" with
a tractor, maybe even 24.  Takiing a couple swipes with  a backhoe, then
drilling, would do nicely.  Just keep the concrete against undisturbed dirt.

Of course if you have friends at the power company, you might be able to do
it with their truck.  I saw that in the old days, but not lately.

That's a good height for a beam, so maybe include a tribander on one of the
poles, with buried plastic pipe for the cables??  Leave the steps out to
head high for an equestrian!

Does anyone have prices for new poles?  I'm guessing they are more expensive
than used Rohn 25??  I'm "sure" the 25 would be OK under the described
conditions.  They used to have some unsupported apps in the catalog, but
they are ow gone, I think.

Even breaking a 25 with a cheap beam in a bad storm would not be a disaster
out in an open field.  We dropped some at a BC station a while back, 200'
tall, and quite a bit of ot was usable after falling!
73,
Wilson
W4BOH