[TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: A word of caution Was Wireless tower direction ind

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: A word of caution Was Wireless tower direction indicator?
From: HansLG@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 12:16:28 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 2/3/2011 1:59:49 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net writes:

Roger  (K8RI)

|rotate the sensor until you read that direction on the  controller.
Unless you have variations in the declination the |reading  should keep up.
> (I recommend a north-seeking plastic owl if you have  problems finding
true north:-)

> 73 de Hans -  N2JFS

Roger Et Al.

My idea was to use the magnetic compass as a sensor, not as something
absolute holy grail. Direct the antenna to the north (or to whatever direction
suits you) and rotate the magnetic compass, hopefully mounted on  the
rotating part of the antenna installation until it shows north (or  whatever
direction you are pointing the antenna) Yeah, you might live in an area  with a
fast (!!) change in the declination, but then a magnetic compass is  useless
regardless what you try to use it for. Maybe then a GPS could be useful
instead.I think that a magnetic compass would work for the rest, 99%  of us
though. (I still recommend a north-seeking plastic owl if you have  problems
finding true north:-)

Hans - N2JFS