Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp-on PL259 et al

To: w2lk@bk-lk.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp-on PL259 et al
From: k2qmf@juno.com
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 15:48:38 -0500
Hi Les,

Can you please tell me what crimping tool you use and where
to get them??  Also to correct connectors for RG-213...

Thanks Les,

73,
Ted  K2QMF

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 15:45:57 -0500 Les Kalmus <w2lk@bk-lk.com> writes:
>   Peter,
>
> I use crimp connectors a lot and have not had any problems like
> this.
> I looks like the crimp was not tight enough which is most likely
> from
> either the wrong die, not enough pressure or crimping too far behind
> the
> head of the connector.
> I can bring the crimper I use to the next meeting for you to take a
> look
> at if you like.
>
> Les W2LK
>
> On 2/12/2011 1:11 PM, Peter Dougherty wrote:
> > The copper shield itself isn't visible in the shot, but it's under
> the
> > ferrule that's pulled back. That knurled portion behind the barrel
> of the
> > white heat-shrunk PL-259 (between the heat shrink and the part you
> rotate
> > onto the SO-239) should not be visible. That knurled bit should
> have copper
> > shield and crimped ferrule over top of it (and optional
> heat-shrink). The
> > "Amp Out" connector (below it) isn't in clear focus in that shot,
> but it's
> > still good. The "failed" one hasn't failed completely, the centre
> is still
> > soldered in and the electrical connections are solid (it's the
> lead down
> > from the tower). I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet but
> when I get
> > some time that's high on the priorities list, assuming there's any
> slack
> > left in the basement - it's pretty snug right now.
> >

> > ------
> >
> >   - pjd

http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/ll290/W2IRT/Towers%20and%20Antennas/?a
cti
> >> on=view&current=Crimp-fail-1.jpg

http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/ll290/W2IRT/Towers%20and%20Antennas/?a
cti
> >> on=view&current=Crimp-fail-3.jpg
> >>
> >> You can see the braid/ferrule has pulled back from the main part
> of the
> >> connector. When installed this was flush against the body of the
> >> connector.
> >> Eventually this will pull right off. If I hadn't soldered the
> center
> >> conductor in (some are intended to just crimp on) the coax would
> pull
> >> right
> >> out of the connector. When, in the middle of CQWW 2009, my 160 TX
> antenna
> >> had failed I went outside and found the coax laying on the sodden
> ground
> >> having failed exactly in that manner.
> >>
> >> After the contest was over I pulled somewhat-gently on every coax
> sticking
> >> down from the Ameritron antenna switchbox and two more pulled
> apart. At
> >> that
> >> point I still trusted the connectors, but I insisted on soldering
> the
> >> centers after that. When more failed inside the shack, on patch
> cables,
> >> etc,
> >> I gave up and went back to solder-only.
> >>

> >> ------
> >>
> >> - pjd

$65/Hr Job - 25 Openings
Part-Time job ($20-$65/hr). Requirements: Home Internet Access
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4d56f2849447e249107st04vuc