Re: [TowerTalk] book Tribander comparison test

To: Dick Green WC1M <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] book Tribander comparison test
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 09:28:33 -0500
> Yeah, but there's another variable besides forward gain, bandwidth
> and feedpoint impedance: front-to-back ratio. The 3-el and 4-el
> SteppIRs have only about 11 dB F/B on 10m, which is less than half
> the F/B of a 3-el or 4-el 10m monobander with optimized element
> spacing.

You are correct, the 11 dB F/B on 10 meters is because the reflector
to driven element spacing has begun to approach 1/4 wave.  That's one
reason for the optional fixed parasitic elements on six meters.

I'm not convinced that high F/B is particularly important.  Most
other antenna specifications give the maximum F/B (anywhere in the
band) and many have significant fall off at the band edges.  It is
well known among antenna builders and modelers that maximum F/B
and maximum gain do not coincide except for a very few "fortunate"
boom lengths.  10 meter F/B is still better than a log-periodic
or tribanders from some other manufacturers.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV