Re: [TowerTalk] burying hardline

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] burying hardline
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 17:54:52 -0400
On 4/4/2011 9:40 AM, Jim Lux wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2011, at 22:00, "Mark, K5ER"<k5er@arrl.net>  wrote:
>

>>     This brings up another question, though. Obviously, the 6 runs of LDF
>> would feed through easier if already laid out nice and straight. Rather
>> than bury the conduit and then try to pull, why can't I lay the LDF right
>> by the trench and simply slide the sections of PVC over them, glue each up,
>> and then drop it in the trench? Seems like it would be easier than trying
>> to pull the relatively stiff LDF the entire 125' length.
>>
> I've done both schemes.  One down side to the glue with stuff in conduit
> approach is that you get glue on the contents if you're not super careful.
> It also might not be as water tight, since you're jostling the connection
> just after gluing, and the joint might no be completely

The glue I used which is part solvent sets up with in a minute. So you
slop it on and waste no time in putting the sections together.  When you
slide the conduit together, make sure it's seated as you do not get a
second chance or even a chance to pull it apart. If not fully seated the
junction will have about a 3/8" square lip which can interfere with
cable pulling in one direction.  Once you start sliding them together
you are committed!"IF" sliding over cables you would need to keep the
glue about a 1/2" from the end of the male section to prevent any from
getting onto the end where it could contact the coax.    The last system
I put together I did not use glue at all. I simply greased the
connections with DC4 or DC5 compound. No leaks and it's reusable.  OTOH
all sections are under compression, not tension as they would be easy to
pull apart. Once set in the trench they are not going anywhere.  These
are shown at the bottom of
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/cablebox.htm while other runs are
cemented/glued.

  The runs shown higher up in the page are all glued using a PVC
specific, clear glue. The solvent eats or penetrates into the PVC so in
essence the two pieces of tube bond directly .

NOTE: Resist any urge to fasten the coax cables into a bundle. It may
(will) make this part of the operation much easier, but some time down
the road you would really regret it.

Put no more coax cables in a conduit than will half fill it.
Avoid cable splices in the conduit.

73

Roger (K8RI)