To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 100, Issue 63
From: Robert Chudek - K0RC <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 16:06:28 -0500
Jim Brown, K9YC wrote:  "BUT - in my experience, vertical dipoles don't work
very well on the HF bands."

My personal experience is a little different Jim!

I have a single self-supporting tower for all my antenna systems. When I
moved to this QTH (winter) about 15 years ago I hung some temporary
wires off the 90 foot tower in order to get on the air. One of those was
a 40 meter dipole with one end near the top and the wire sloping away at
a 60 degree angle. (I would consider it an 'almost' vertical dipole.) It
worked okay.

Later I installed a 40m Telrex dipole. This is a 70+ feet long, stout
aluminum horizontal radiator. I side mounted it on the tower about 80
feet above ground. My intention was to remove the vertical dipole,
although I had an empty switch position so I decided to hook her up.

Normally I can flip between these two antennas with no noticeable
difference in RX signal strength (not precisely measured, but eyeballed
on the IC756 Pro 3 analog meter).

However! There are times when one antenna or the other will provide a
readable CW signal while the other one will not. This is especially true
near the band noise floor, although sometimes 'booming' signals will
exhibit a 20 dB (approximate) different on the meter.

The one area where the vertical dipole works better for me is the QSO
Parties where the target stations are mobiles. The closer these stations
are to my QTH (border states), the more pronounced the vertical wire
shines. The difference in strength is not as apparent when working the
coastal stations (CA, FL, NY from MN).

As you might expect, my temporary vertical dipole has become a permanent
fixture in my arsenal of antenna choices. That said, with all the wires
hanging from this tower, it would be a modeling nightmare to determine
all the interactions! But even so, I don't think you can every have
enough antennas!

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN