To: k0rc@citlink.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 100, Issue 63
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 16:21:04 -0700
Robert Chudek - K0RC wrote:
> Jim Brown, K9YC wrote:  "BUT - in my experience, vertical dipoles don't
> work very well on the HF bands."

It is difficult to feed a vertical dipole in the traditional
way in the center without the feedline affecting the pattern.
It is also tricky to feed it from the bottom, as a half wave
vertical.  I did some direct A/B tests comparing a 1/4 wave
vertical to a 1/2 wave vertical on 20 meters.  They were
virtually indisinguishable, with maybe a slight edge going
to the 1/2 wave vertical.  You can call that a vertical dipole
if you want.  It had no radials by the way, while the 1/4 wave
vertical had 32 1/4 wave radials. YMMV.

Rick N6RK