Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna/Tower Legal Issues

To: "Rob Atkinson" <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna/Tower Legal Issues
From: "Jerry Muller" <k0tv@k0tv.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 14:35:32 -0400
A state supreme court can be overruled by any federal court. In this case,
the state laws didn't provide reasonable accommodation. As to what is
reasonable, there is some precedent that a VHF only antenna doesn't cut it.

If this guy wants to get any kind of tower, he's going to have to take it to
federal court. When we argued Marchand before the New Hampshire Supreme
Court, we made it clear at oral argument that if the state didn't get it
right, we were going "right across the river" to Federal District Court.
Fortunately for me, the NH Supreme Court got it right. I bet that in this
case, my case (Marchand v. Hudson) will be referenced in the documents filed
with The District Court.

The federal district court can overrule the state, just as it has done on
numerous occasions. The Boston bussing case comes to mind. If the state has
an antenna statute, like California does, it becomes more difficult for the
federal court to act because there was some basis for action in state
court.. In this case, the California Supreme Court decided that a VHF only
antenna constituted reasonable accommodation under state law. I don't think
the federal court would agree so the ham has grounds to take an appeal into
federal court.

Jerry - K0TV
Not a real zero, I just play one on K0TV