Re: [TowerTalk] Need help with HF problems

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need help with HF problems
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 12:29:36 -0700
On 5/30/2011 11:59 AM, Jim W7RY wrote:
> How about something as simple as a bad coaxial cable from the station move?

YES. Someone else mentioned that, and I meant to reinforce it.  Two
common problems -- coax with a crummy, lightweight shield, and a poorly
soldered (or crimped) connector.  NEVER NEVER NEVER use the light-weight
foil-shielded stuff designed for cable TV and home antenna wiring --
it's very difficult to get a good shield connection, and the shield is
FAR too lightweight for HF, especially for HF transmitting.  Also, make
sure that all coax connections are screwed down really tight. I use
nothing but soldered connectors myself, and am serious about soldering
them.  Some are happy with crimps -- if you DO use crimps, make sure
that you're using quality connectors and crimp tool that matches them
(EXACTLY), and that the connector matches the coax you're putting it on.
EXACTLY.

And a JUNK coax connector or adapter.  The crap you buy at hamfests and
even at many online vendors is cheap JUNK.  Look for crummy coax
splicers (barrels), Tees, elbows (right angles), and adapters (PL259 to
BNC and/or N, etc.).  If it doesn't say Amphenol on it, 99% odds are
that it's junk. An exception are the old unbranded mil-type connectors
with numbers stamped into them.

73, Jim K9YC